Main Content


Mastic Fire Department Gets Second Working Fire Within 30 Minutes

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

MASTIC, NY - At 10:00 P.M. on November 25th, while operating at a commercial fire on Pineway Ave. off Mastic Rd., the Mastic Fire Dept. was activated for a house fire on Southaven Ave., off Mastic Rd. 

Brookhaven Fire Department members, who were responding back to quarters after being turned around from Mastic's first fire, arrived on scene first and found a home well-involved in flames, and advised that they had a working fire. The Yaphank Fire Department, who was standing by for Mastic, arrived on scene a short time later.  

As Mastic Fire began to release their mutual aid and their own units from the first-alarm, those crews were redirected to the second call as well to assist. Upon arrival, Mastic Chief Gene Martucci (5-12-30) became the incident commander. Crews went to work stretching multiple handlines and a supply line to quickly attack the fire. 

While fire crews were working on that, the Mastic Ambulance was requested to meet the homeowner outside, as they were requesting EMS due to suffering burns. The homeowner was packaged and transported by ambulance to Stony Brook University Hospital for treatment of what appeared to be 2nd degree burns, as well as some other burn injuries.  

Firefighters from Brookhaven, Center Moriches, Mastic, Mastic Beach and Yaphank operated on scene of the fire for an extended period. Mastic Ambulance was on scene, as well as Shirley Ambulance for rehab and to treat any injuries. East Moriches Fire Department stood by to handle any additional alarms Mastic got. The Brookhaven Town Fire Marshals were on scene to investigate the cause of the fire. Units began to be released around one-and-a-half-hours into the alarm. No further injuries were reported. 

avatar image
JOHN WALTHERSSenior Correspondent

No information from the author.