Andover Volunteer Fire Department
By CHUCK LOWE, Correspondent | July 27, 2021 | CONNECTICUT
Story No. 072721115
Photo by Chuck LoweAndover Fire Department
Photo by Chuck LoweEngine Tank 115 - 2005 E-One Cyclone 1500/1000/40F
Photo by Chuck LoweEngine Tank 215 - 1991 E-One Cyclone TC 1500/1000
Photo by Chuck LoweTanker 215 - 2020 Freightliner 114SD/US Tanker 1250/3000
Photo by Chuck LoweRescue 115 - 2004 Ford F-550 Light Rescue
Photo by Chuck LoweRescue 215 - 1998 Freightliner FL80/Becker
Photo by Chuck LoweService 115 - 1989 Ford F350/E-One 300/250/25F
The Andover Volunteer Fire Department was formed in 1938. At that time the town purchased “Sacketts Store" and converted it to house a new Maxim pumper that carried 150-gallons of water. This engine was purchased for $4,766 and another $2,000 was allocated to purchase the store and convert it.
83 years later the department operates from a modern 4-bay firehouse with six pieces of apparatus and an ambulance. The department has 30 active members and remains completely volunteer.
This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.