Main Content


Workers Extinguish Accidental Fire on Roof of Ravena Home

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

RAVENA, NY - A house on Main Street in Ravena was saved after a fire broke out on the roof. Fire crews were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 12 Main St. in Ravena just after noon on Saturday, October 29th, for reports of smoke coming from a room inside the home.

Chief Mark Deyo of Coeymans Fire was first to arrive on scene and stated that there was an active smoke condition visible from the home where the roof connects to the exterior of the house.

Chief Kevin Phillips of the Ravena Fire Department arrived soon after. “There were roof workers on scene that were using an old torch and tar method to patch the roof,” Phillips said.

He said the workers had just left for a break and received word of a fire the broke out and rushed back to the home to extinguish the fire. Phillips said the workers took a hose to the roof and knocked the fire down as fire crews were arriving. “They did a good job at preventing it,” he said.

Firefighters opened up a portion of the wall to check for any fire extension, which was not found.

“It’s an old-style Victorian balloon-frame construction, so you have the wide open walls and you don’t know if the fire could have traveled or not,” he said. “It’s a three-story house so we had people on each story just to check to make sure the fire didn’t travel the wall and go upstairs.”

Ravena, Coeymans and New Baltimore Fire Departments were assisted on scene with Albany County Sheriff’s Ambulance, Albany County Paramedics, Albany County Sheriffs and Coeymans Police.

There were two homeowners inside the home at the time of the fire who were able to call 911 and evacuate.

There were no injuries reported on scene.

avatar image
THOMAS MARRA Correspondent

No information from the author.