Main Content


Electrical Fire Damages Ramsey Home

By BILL TOMPKINS, Correspondent | September 25, 2020 | NEW JERSEY

Story No. 092720110

Ramsey, NJ - An electrical problem apparently caused a blaze that damaged a home under renovation in Ramsey on September 25th.

Ramsey fire units responded to 178 Prospect Street at approximately 8:30 A.M. for a report of a smoke condition. On arrival, moderate smoke was showing from an attached garage, and light smoke from the one-and-a-half story frame dwelling. Construction supplies outside indicated the work being done to the structure.

Mutual aid was quickly called as lines were stretched and members searched for the source of the smoke. Electrical arcing and flames were discovered inside the garage behind the meter. PSE&G was summoned. Firefighters had to stand by due to the service still energized. The smoke condition continued to intensify from the garage doors and the attic vents.

PSE&G arrived quickly and soon had the electrical service disconnected. Members were then able to open up behind the meter and above to expose the flames. One line was operated to knock down the fire. Members checked for further extension to the garage attic and home. No extension was found and companies vented the structure.

The fire was placed under control with no injuries being reported. Wyckoff, Allendale, and Mahwah assisted at the scene.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.