Two-Alarm Fire Displaces 11 Manchester Residents
By JAY HEATH, Correspondent | September 06, 2021 | NEW HAMPSHIRE
Story No. 090821100
Photo by Jay L Heath"Truck 7 firefighters wet down the cockloft area"
Photo by Jay L Heath " A Manchester firefighter takes a break after battling the two-alarm fire on Lake Ave"
Photo by Jay L Heath " Firefighters had extensive overhaul operations on the large apartment building"
Photo by Jay L Heath" Fire due firefighters take a break "
Photo by Jay L Heath" A Manchester firefighter gets his gear washed down after battling the two alarm fire "
MANCHESTER, NH - Improper disposal of smoking materials caused a two-alarm fire on Tuesday afternoon, September 6th.
The Box went out at 4:13 P.M. for a building fire at 336 Lake Avenue that started on a third floor balcony and extended into the apartment cockloft area. Heavy fire was showing on first due companies arrival. Firefighters advanced three hand lines to the top floor while truck companies opened the roof and searches were made in the large three-story apartment building.
A second-alarm was sounded at 4:17 P.M., and eventually an extra engine company was requested for manpower. The fire was knocked down at 4:26 P.M. and extensive overhaul operations followed.
According to Battalion Chief Ken Proulx the fire was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials on the third floor balcony. The fire displaced 11 residents living in the building. The Red Cross was brought in to assist those displaced.
This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.