Woman and Dog Killed In Englewood Fire
By CHRIS TOMPKINS, Senior Correspondent | August 25, 2020 | NEW JERSEY
Story No. 083120100
Photo by Chris Tompkins www.btfirephotos.comEnglewood
Englewood firefighters battled a two alarm fire in a detached garage apartment, where one woman and her dog perished in the fire Monday evening.
Firefighters were called to the area of 77 Grove St for a reported fire in a garage after the caller reported seeing smoke from the structure around 10pm. First arriving units found heavy smoke showing from the converted one story garage and reports of entrapment. A second alarm was quickly transmitted as firefighters had a long stretch to the rear of the Grove St residence. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the blaze and prevent any further extension. One woman and her dog were unable to escape and succumbed to their injuries. No additional injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is to believed to have started from a cigarette. Mutual Aid assisted on scene and covering the city.
This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.