Main Content


Adventurous Child Gets Stuck in Chimney in Whitman

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

WHITMAN, MA - Just after 4:00 P.M. on the afternoon of Wednesday, April 10th, the Whitman Fire Department received a call reporting a child stuck in a chimney at 143 Harvard Street. Ladder-246, C-3 and Ambulance-249 responded to the scene. Companies arrived to find a child stuck feet first into a chimney on the top of a two-story wood-framed dwelling. A box was struck for manpower due to the complexity of the incident.

While the aerial was being put into place, firefighters raised ground and roof ladders to gain access to the child on the opposite side of the house. Firefighters met the child simultaneously at the chimney. Both firefighters were able to lift the child up and out of the chimney and put him on the tip of the aerial. Both firefighters then slowly brought the child down the ladder, eventually to the arms of his very anxious father. The ambulance crew checked out the child, but transport was not required.

The child was apparently home with his brother when he decided to climb out of a second-floor dormer window and onto the roof. He then scaled the steep pitched room and hoisted himself up and into the chimney. Shortly after arrival at this scene, Whitman firefighters were alerted to a reported motorcycle accident at the intersection of Harvard Street and School Street. An additional ambulance and engine responded to the scene with call-back personnel. No injuries were reported at that scene.

More Photos Available At:

avatar image
PAT TRAVERSSenior Correspondent

No information from the author.