White Hills Fire Company 5
Photo by Chuck LoweWhite Hills Engine 52: 2004 Pierce Enforcer 1500/750/30A/30B
Photo by Chuck LoweWhite Hills Ladder 51: 2014 KME Predator Severe Service 2000/500/79' aerial.
Photo by Chuck LoweWhite Hills Tanker 59: 2002 Kenworth T800/Pierce 1000/3000
Photo by Chuck LoweWhite Hills Truck 55: 2006 Ford F550/Gowans-Knight
The White Hills Volunteer Fire Company works in unison with three other companies to protect the 40,000 residents of Shelton. WHVFC is designated Station 5 and all apparatus assigned here are numbered in the 50-series. One Chief oversees the department along with an Assistant Chief that is assigned to each station. Echo Hose Hook and Ladder Ambulance Corps handles all EMS responses within the city from a separate facility.
Company 5 was formed in 1947 with the purpose of protecting the 50 families who lived in the White Hills section of town. The following year, the first apparatus, Engine 51, was purchased for $7000. Members of the department signed personal bank notes to secure funding, with two-day county fairs aiding in paying it off. That new pumper ran out of a local barn in the summer and from the neighboring Monroe firehouse during the winter months. A cinderblock addition was later built onto the civic club to house the pumper.
Seventy-five years later, Company 5 operates from a modern five-bay station with five pieces of apparatus, an ATV, and a 1995 Wahoo rescue boat. Olde 54, a 1954 Dodge Power Wagon that operated as Truck 54, is the company parade piece. White Hills remains completely volunteer.