Nov., 2021, UPS, page 2
By Ron Jeffers, New Jersey Editor | November 01, 2021 | NEW JERSEY
Story No. 092721116
DOWNS: Heavy fire and smoke was pouring out of the Dominican Softball Social Club, on State Street in Perth Amboy, when fire units arrived, Sept. 2nd, officials said. Five residents of apartments above the club were treated for smoke inhalation at a local hospital. An Ocean Grove resident was charged with arson, Middlesex County Prosecutor Yolanda Ciccone announced.
UPS: Some of the larger AFG funding awarded to New Jersey fire departments for “operations and safety” include: Cherry Hill $301,768; Bayonne $213,077; Salem $163,844; Helmetta $156,190; Englewood $148,786; Passaic $142,650; Old Tappan $139,447; Gloucester City $116,488; Irvington $116,363.
DOWNS: On Labor Day, seven fire companies were used to battle an early morning dwelling fire on Corson's Tavern Rd. in Ocean View, Dennis Twp., officials said.
UPS: In September, members of Bloomfield Engine 2 were sent to Halcyon Park pond in reference to a cat that was trapped on a flotation device, in the middle of the pond, that was in place for ducks. The cat was using a Tupperware container for shelter that somehow made its was into the pond. Firefighter Michael Elias entered the pond and safely removed the cat from danger, according to the public safety division.
DOWNS: A fire consumed a Chester Twp. dwelling on Lamerson Rd., Sept. 7th. The fire was being investigated by the Morris County Prosecutor's Office Arson Unit and the NJ State Fire Marshal's Office.
UPS: For 20-years an American flag has flown at Gate 17 Terminal A, Newark Liberty International Airport, in honor of United Flight 93. Gate 17 is the gate Flight 93 departed from on September 11, 2001. The flight was hijacked by terrorists and crashed in Shanksville, Pa. On September 10, 2021, the Port Authority Police Department Newark Airport Command retired the flag during a ceremony prior to the gate being demolished for a rebuilding project.
DOWNS: A malfunction in a fire pit set a dwelling's back deck ablaze on Susan Dr., in Chatham Township, Sept. 10th, officials said. The homeowner attempted to quell the flames, but did not succeed. Flames spread to the home, rendering it “uninhabitable".
UPS: During a 2-alarm fire in Egg Harbor Twp., Sept. 18th, an unconscious dog was found and removed from the home, Bargaintown fire officials said. The Northfield VFC took the dog to a local animal hospital and it was said to be in stable condition. No other injuries were reported for the Irvins Ave. fire.
DOWNS: A father and son died as the result of a fire in their 9th St. home in North Arlington, Sept. 17th. The wife of the 75-year-old father was rescued by ladder from a second-floor bedroom, officials said. The fire started in a second-floor bedroom and the victims attempted to put out the flames, but were unsuccessful. The fire was being investigated by the Bergen County Prosecutor's Office.
UPS: The Coast Guard and Beach Haven firefighters rescued six boaters after their vessel struck a fixed aid to navigation in the vicinity of Ham Island, Sept. 19th., officials said.
DOWNS: Due to a shortage of fire equipment in Atlantic City, the fire department has borrowed apparatus from Ventnor and Margate to protect the city, according to the Atlantic City Professional Firefighters Local 198. Approximately $1.2 million was approved by the city to purchase needed equipment, according to WPG radio.
UPS: During a search at the Lakeview Terrace apartments, after carbon monoxide detectors sounded, Eatontown firefighters found a two-week-old infant unconscious and unresponsive, on Sept. 13th. While paramedics were en route, firefighters and police teamed up to revive the infant and said the two-week old was in stable condition.
DOWNS: On Sept. 13th, a 2-alarm fire displaced 24 residents of a 5-story apartment building on Lembeck Ave., Jersey City.
UPS: On September 20th, the South Plainfield Borough Council and the S.P.F.D. recognized and awarded Firefighter Paul Bosse on his 50-years of service to the community.
DOWNS: Newark firefighters were busy for most of September 22nd battling a fire in the EMR Recycling yard on Calcutta St. Firefighters sought the assistance from the yard's heavy equipment operators to move and spread out the heavy metals to make sure the flames would be completely extinguished, according to Public Safety Director Brian O'Hara. To ensure an efficient water supply the Neptune System was called in. In addition, fire boats assisted at the scene from the FDNY, North Hudson, Kearny and Perth Amboy.
UPS: Newly promoted fire captains in New Brunswick are Chris Gural and Robert Piparo.
DOWNS: Flames engulfed a small Park Avenue dwelling in Elizabeth, killing a 78-year-old resident, Sept. 21st. The victim, Damaryz Vazquez, was a celebrated ballerina in her native Cuba and built a life and a dance school in the city.
UPS: New fire lieutenants in New Brunswick are Michael Pilch and Michael Blackwell.
This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.