Main Content

news

Smoke Alarm Success Story in Clay County

By CLAY COUNTY PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICE, Correspondent | December 09, 2020 | FLORIDA

Story No. 120920114

Clay County, FL - Clay County Fire Rescue recently responded to a house fire at the 1200 block of Spruce Street in Green Cove Springs.

A pot was left on the stove and the home quickly filled with smoke. A neighbor heard the smoke alarm going off from next door and rushed over to help the senior resident out of the house. The resident was transported to the hospital because of the smoke, but appeared to paramedics to be doing well. The fire was contained to the stove area.

The smoke detector that saved the resident’s life was purchased through a local fire safety grant intended to buy smoke detectors for those who don’t have them. Firefighters were thankful to have helped lay a role in this smoke alarm success story.

This is a reminder that smoke alarms that are properly installed and maintained play a vital role in reducing fire deaths and injuries. Learn more at https://www.nfpa.org/Public-Education/Staying-safe/Safety-equipment/Smoke-alarms

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.