Main Content


Early-Morning Second-Alarm Displaces Residents in New London

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

NEW LONDON, CT - At 2:20 A.M. on Friday, November 24th, the New London Fire Department was dispatched to 24 Crescent Street for flames in the house. Battalion 3 arrived in the area and noticed nothing was visible. At 2:24 A.M., Truck 2 transmitted that they found the fire at 24 Pleasant Street.

Truck 2 reported a large volume of fire from the front of the second-floor on a two-and-a-half-story, wood-frame, occupied multiple dwelling. Battalion 3 arrived at 2:27 A.M. and transmitted the second-alarm, reporting the second and third floors going good. Engine 2 stretched a one-and-three-quarter-inch hose line to the front door, while Engine 1 stretched a two-and-a-half-inch hose line to knock a lot of fire from the exterior.

Engine 2 advanced their line into the second-floor while crews from the ambulances searched. A third hose line was then stretched to fight fire on the top floor. Heavy fire began venting from the attic, so command ordered the evacuation tone at 2:44 A.M., and conducted a PAR. Truck 2 used their master stream to knock the fire in the attic space. Sub Base FAST, Waterford Truck 15 and Poquonnock Bridge Truck 35 were put to work so an engine from Electric Boat was started.

While operating defensively in smoke and steam, Truck 2’s master stream came into contact with a ground ladder on the 'Bravo' side that had a firefighter on it. Command witnessed this and transmitted a mayday while ordering Truck 2 to reposition to the right immediately. The firefighter was able to come down the ladder and was not injured. Truck 3 then arrived with callbacks and set up on the 'Alpha/Delta' corner.

Crews worked hard overhauling the residence and chasing hotspots. One firefighter was transported to Lawrence & Memorial Hospital with a minor burn to his wrist. Groton Ambulance staged on scene while Waterford companies covered New London’s three stations.

Crews were hampered by power lines that came down early in the incident, which took Eversource about 45 minutes to arrive and isolate. The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced, and the New London Fire marshal’s office is investigating.

avatar image
RYAN FLAHERTYCorrespondent

No information from the author.