Main Content


Heavy Smoke & Fire on Arrival with One Dog Rescued by Firefighters

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

On October 13th at 2:44 P.M., the Speigletown Fire Department, Center Brunswick Fire Company, Brunswick No.1 Fire Company, Pleasantdale Fire Department, Raymertown Fire Department and Mohawk Ambulance Service were dispatched to Weaver Avenue at the dead end of the road for a reported structure fire. The caller reported smoke coming from the house and the smoke alarms going off. Speigletown Car 1 called en route to the scene and the dispatcher notified them that they were taking multiple calls on the structure fire and command retransmitted the box as a working fire. Mohawk Ambulance Service 6417 arrived on scene and notified the dispatcher that they had a two-story, wood-frame structure with heavy smoke pushing from the roof, with a report of a dog trapped in the home.

Truck 4 arrived on scene and immediately notified the dispatcher that they had a working structure fire on scene and transmitted the Signal 30. Firefighters had heavy fire pushing through the roof of the building in the rear of the structure and a heavy smoke condition pushing from the eaves. Firefighters on scene deployed a hand line over the fence and firefighters made their way to the rear of the structure where they had heavy fire blowing out the back portion of the structure. Engine 35-7, Engine 26-8 and Engine 7-6 pulled right behind Truck 4 and crews made their way to the front door of the structure and forced entry. Firefighters quickly located and rescued the trapped dog inside of the house, bringing it outside to safety. Firefighters set the dog down with the owner and made their way back inside with another hand line right behind them and began to go to work knocking down the heavy fire condition.

Firefighters tossed a ladder to the front of the building and made their way to the roof and began to vent the structure. Additional firefighters in the rear of the structure vented the rear windows to allow the superheated toxic gas and smoke to exit the structure. Firefighters in the rear of the building aggressively knocked down the heavy fire condition and water blew through the roof of the structure. Firefighters confirmed to command that the house was searched, and no other victims were found inside of the building. Firefighters grabbed some NY hooks and began to conduct overhaul. State police checked on the dog inside of the vehicle, making sure it was okay while firefighters were working on location hot spots. Command requested national grid, town of Brunswick code enforcement and fire investigators to the scene.

Firefighters continued to conduct extensive overhaul in the rear portion of the building and ventilation throughout the structure. Firefighters remained on scene for an extended period of time. Fire investigators arrived on scene and began to conduct their investigation into what caused the fire. The house had substantial damage throughout from the fire and smoke, and unfortunately the resident could not return to the home. Three firefighters are credited with the rescue of the dog as follows: Captain Eric Manning of the Center Brunswick Fire Company, Firefighter Austin Glasser of the Pittstown Fire Department, and Lieutenant Joshua Coon-Rustin of the Speigletown Fire Department. Firefighters went back into service later that evening.

avatar image

No information from the author.