Main Content


Early-Morning Warehouse Fire on Main Street in Troy

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

TROY, NY - On October 13th around 4:35 A.M., the Rensselaer County Emergency Communication Center took a call for a reported unknown type building on fire in the area of 8000 Main Street in the city of Troy.

The dispatcher transmitted the alarm of fire for box 6324, bringing Engines 6, 3 and 4, Trucks 2 and 1, the rescue squad, Medic 4, and the battalion chief to the scene. The caller reported the building to be on fire and could see it from the highway across the river in Watervliet from 787. Engine 6 notified the dispatcher while they were en route to the scene that they had a heavy column of smoke visible in the morning sky. On arrival, Engine 6 immediately transmitted the Signal 30 as they had a heavy fire condition in a large abandoned 300' x 50' warehouse with no exposure issues.

Engine 6 had Engine 3 lay in from the fire hydrant in front of the Rensselaer County Bureau of Public Safety building. Command had Truck 2 set up and get ready to go into master stream. Command deemed the building unsafe for firefighters to enter. Firefighters conducted a walk-around of the building to check and see if any individuals who may have been inside of the structure were still around. Firefighters grabbed a hand line and began to knock down the visible fire that was spreading to the brush on the exterior portion of the structure. As all of the large diameter hose was being charged, the Troy Police Department shut down the roadway. Firefighters went into master stream operations, knocking down a significant amount of the heavy fire condition within minutes.

Command had firefighters deploy a two-and-a-half-inch hand line down to the other portion of the building and to knock down any of the fire that had spread. Firefighters remained on scene utilizing master stream operations for an extended period of time. While firefighters were operating on scene, command put back into service multiple units, as they were not being utilized on scene. No injuries were reported, and the fire was most likely caused by a campfire started by individuals seeking shelter in the vacant building. Firefighters went back into service later that morning.

avatar image

No information from the author.