Main Content

news

Taxpayer Burns in Irvington

By BILL TOMPKINS, Correspondent | September 20, 2020 | NEW JERSEY

Story No. 092220101

A three-alarm blaze that worked its way from the first floor to the cockloft of a multi-occupancy building in Irvington left six businesses shuttered and more than a dozen residents from the apartments above homeless on September 20th.

Irvington units were sent to 122 Myrtle Ave. at the corner of Madison at about 11:10 P.M. for the report of a fire. On arrival, a working fire was transmitted for a fire in a supermarket in the corner of the structure. Smoke was showing from the second and third floors prompting a second alarm to be transmitted and a signal 9 from Newark to the scene. Companies opened up and hit the fire in the supermarket. Smoke intensified from the upper floors and from the vent holes in the roof. Flames vented from the cockloft vent but was knocked down quickly. Two additional engines were requested followed by a call for the third alarm to be filled out. Members opened up on all floors and slowly made progress. The fire was placed “Probably will hold” at about 12:30. No serious injuries were reported. Maplewood, East Orange, Montclair, Bloomfield, and Orange assisted Irvington and Newark at the scene.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.