Main Content

news

Girardville Fire Chief Pulls One from House Fire

By JC KRIESHER, Senior Correspondent | June 16, 2020 | PENNSYLVANIA

Story No. 070620121

Schuylkill County, PA – At 7:37 P.M. on Tuesday, June 16th, Schuylkill County 9-1-1 dispatched Fire District 45 (Girardville) to 341 North Second Street in their borough for a reported house fire.

Chief 45 was advised of multiple calls reporting smoke and flames from a residence with someone possibly still inside. A few minutes later, Chief 45 confirmed a working fire and advised that he pulled one person from the fire.

Engine 45-10 was first on scene pulling past the address and secured a water supply from a hydrant at 2nd Street and Mahanoy Avenue; 45-11 followed and positioned at the 'A/B' corner.

Chief 45 advised of a kitchen fire to the rear of the residence with fire spreading throughout the vacant exposures. A second-alarm was requested.

The second-alarm brought Districts 38 (Ashland–both stations), 36 (William Penn), 48 (Mahanoy City–Humane & West End), 64 (Shenandoah–Columbia & RHL), and 4 (Englewood). Northumberland County Ladder 2 and Engine 2 were also due from Mount Carmel.

With one line stretched through the front door, additional crews arrived and began to stretch a second line. Command requested an additional supply line be laid from Main Street, which is nearly a 2000' lay. Ashland Engine 38-11 and William Penn Engine 36-13 handled the assignment and set up a relay.

Crews from Ashland’s Ladder and Shenandoah’s Tiller were sent to the roof for ventilation while Truck 2 was sent to the rear.

Multiple lines were stretched into the “D” exposure and to the rear while a ladder pipe was used from Truck 2. Crews worked on the “A” side on the porch roof to rip off siding and worked the second floor.

The brown smoke pushing from the eaves eventually turned to white steam as the fire was brought under control. The fire was officially placed under control at 9:10 P.M.

Girardville crews were at the scene overnight containing flareups. The fire chief attributed the cause of the fire to unattended cooking.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.