Main Content

news

Oily rags cause garage fire in the City's South End

By JAY HEATH, Correspondent | June 18, 2020 | NEW HAMPSHIRE

Story No. 062020100

Concord, NH- A fire that ignited in a garage at 7 Harrison Street on Thursday June 18 was caused by spontaneous combustion of oily rags, according to Deputy Fire Chief Sean Brown. A neighbor who lives across the street saw flames out her window and called 911. Concord Fire Alarm transmitted the Box for the building fire with a full response in the compact neighborhood, where buildings are close together. First due Engine 4 and Rescue 4 made an aggressive attack and the fire was knocked down very quickly in the 12 by 20 garage used mostly for storage. The fire was under control 16 minutes later and crews began overhauling and checking for hot spots. Deputy Chief Brown wants to remind people that it is important when discarding rags with petroleum-based products to do so in a sealed metal container with some water because they can spontaneously combust at anytime. No injuries were reported and the garage is a complete loss.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.