Main Content

Features

West Paterson firemen with their 1920's era fire engines

By TODD HOLLRITT, Correspondent | November 11, 2021 | NEW JERSEY

Story No. 111121121

The West Paterson FD gathers for a photo back in the 1920's. Pictured are Engine 1 of the West Park Hose Co. 1, Engine 2 from Passaic Valley Hose Co. 2, and Engine 3 from Rifle Camp Fire Co. 3 ("The Ridge Runners"). Each fire company is operating a REO Speed-Wagon fire engine. The Speed Wagon used REO's "Gold Crown" 268 cubic inch, 67 horsepower, six-cylinder series of engines, and was well regarded for power, durability, and quality. They would remain in service in the volunteer department from 1939 until 1941 when the were replaced with new GMC pumpers. Two GMC's, Engine 1 (1939) and Engine 3 (1941), operate in the department as antiques today.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.