Newmarket Engine House
Photo by Chuck LoweNewmarket Engine House
Newmarket's first fire station was built in 1852 at Zion's Hill. This barn was built to house "Tiger No 1", a recently purchased handtub that was locally built by Mr. Lesley of Newburyport. The cost of the town's first apparatus was $595. Six years later, Newmarket Manufacturing purchased a second handtub that was designated "Granite No 2". Both of these carts were pulled by men until they were replaced by horses decades later. They were the only two "fire engines" in town. The firehouse has been well preserved at its original location on Elm St.