Main Content


MNPD, FBI, and ATF Investigating Nashville Bombing

By DAVID BURNS, Senior Correspondent | December 25, 2020 | TENNESSEE

Story No. 122620104

Nashville, TN - MNPD, FBI, and ATF are investigating the Christmas morning intentional 6:30 A.M. explosion of an RV outside of 166 2nd Avenue North downtown.

Officers responded to a shots fired call on 2nd Avenue at approximately 5:30 A.M. The department’s Hazardous Devices Unit was called to check the RV. As those officers were en route, the vehicle exploded outside of an AT&T transmission building. Multiple buildings on 2nd Avenue were damaged, some extensively.

The computerized voice emanating from the white motor home offered a terrifying warning: "This vehicle will explode in 15 minutes." The voice repeated the message, counting down as the minutes passed.

As the countdown continued, six police officers who heard those warnings sprang into action, helping residents in downtown Nashville evacuate before the motor home made good on its threat and exploded.

Nashville Mayor John Cooper praised the six responding officers, saying they "took swift action and directed people away from danger to save lives, even at the time that their own lives were imperiled."

The Metropolitan Nashville Police Department identified the officers in a news release as:
Officer Brenna Hosey, who has been with the department for 4 years; Officer James Luellen, who has been with the department for 3 years; Officer Michael Sipos, who has been with the department for 16 months; Officer Amanda Topping, who has been with the department for 21 months; Officer James Wells, who has been with the department for 21 months; and Sergeant Timothy Miller, who has been with the department for 11 years.

The bomb tore through the neighborhood in the pre-dawn hours, yet only injured three people thanks to the officers' quick work and bravery, officials said.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.