Main Content

news

Quick Knockdown of a Fire in Athens

By THOMAS MARRA , Correspondent | November 27, 2021 | NEW YORK

Story No. 121921103

Firefighters were able to quickly put a stop to a fire at a home in Athens on Saturday, November 27.

Fire crews were called to 108 2nd St in Athens just after 2:00 p.m. for a possible structure fire after the caller stated the house was filling with smoke.

Arriving units had smoke coming from the residence and declared a working fire.

There was excessive smoke and heat damage to the second floor, according to Chief Wayne Butterworth of Athens Fire.

Athens, West Athens, Coxsackie, Catskill, New Baltimore and Hudson fire departments responded to the scene with Catskill Ambulance and the Greene County Fire Investigation Team.

Investigation revealed the fire started from a malfunctioning water cooler, Butterworth said.

Everyone inside the home was able to make it out safely, but a cat perished in the fire, he said.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.