Main Content


Troy Firefighters Make An Aggressive Interior Attack on Fifth Avenue Attic Fire

avatar image
July 13, 2023 | NEW YORK JEFFREY BELSCHWINDER, Senior Correspondent
This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

Troy, NY - On July 13, 2023, at 5:20 AM, The city of Troy’s Fire Department was dispatched to 615 5th Avenue for a reported structure fire. Engine one, engine four, engine two, truck one, truck two, medic four, and the battalion chief responded to the scene. The caller reported the roof was on fire. As engine one arrived on scene they immediately declared the signal thirty for a working structure fire as they had heavy smoke showing from the attic area of the home and crews were stretching a inch and three-quarter hand line and going to work.

Truck one arrived on scene and set up in the middle of the roadway and firefighters immediately made their way to the roof. Engine four took the hydrant at 117th Street and laid into the scene establishing a water supply. Firefighters immediately made their way up to the second floor and began their search for access to the cockloft. As firefighters were searching the home making sure everyone was out they discovered the house is under construction. Crews requested the pump operator to charge the line. As firefighters made their way up into the attic they had a heavy fire condition. Firefighters from the truck company began to vent the roof and heavy smoke began to push from the vent hole. Firefighters deployed another hand line to the rear of the building where they had fire that had pushed through the back of the roof.

Firefighters quickly began to make an aggressive interior attack and firefighters in the rear of the building quickly began to knock down the fire that had pushed through the back of the building. Firefighters notified command that they had a good knock on the fire and were pulling ceilings on the second floor. Firefighters continued to conduct overhaul in the attic area. Firefighters notified command that the incident was under control and command requested the dispatcher to stop the timer. Firefighters had the entire fire knocked down and under control in less than 20 minutes. Fire Investigator‘s arrived on scene and began to conduct their investigation into the fire. No injuries were reported, and firefighters went back in service around 7 AM.

avatar image

No information from the author.