Main Content


Space Heater Causes Three-Alarm Fire at Abington Home Built in 1810

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

ABINGTON, MA - Around 11:45 P.M. on the evening of Friday, March 1st, the Abington Fire Department responded to a reported house fire at 287 High Street.

Abington Engine 4, Engine 2, Tower 1, C-1 and C-2 responded. Firefighters arrived to find heavy fire showing from the rear of the building and requested a working fire. All of the occupants were reported out of the house upon the fire department's arrival. Mutual aid from Whitman, Rockland and Holbrook responded to the scene on the working fire assignment. Companies stretched multiple hand lines, and opened the roof in several spots over the fire. Crews worked an aggressive interior attack, keeping the fire to the area of origin, and out of the original house.

The home, originally built in 1810, with approximate dimensions of 140' x 50', presented challenges for firefighters who had to contend with several renovations throughout the years. Second and third alarms were eventually struck, bringing companies from Brockton, Weymouth, Hanson, East Bridgewater, Norwell, Whitman CERT/Boston Sparks Association, and the Department of Fire Services to the scene. The fire was knocked down within 45-minutes of the first companies' arrival.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to an object in close contact to a space heater. No injuries were reported.

More Photos Available At:

avatar image
PAT TRAVERSSenior Correspondent

No information from the author.