Main Content


78 MPH Wind Gusts Resulted in Over 60 Calls for Adams Fire Department

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.

ADAMS, NY - On Tuesday, January 9th, the National Weather Service issued a warning for winds gusting as high as 70 MPH for Jefferson County.

Things for the Adams Fire Department began at 10:12 A.M., with a lift assist to South Jefferson Rescue Squad in the Village of Adams. At 12:27 P.M., Adams Fire Department was dispatched with Ellisburg Fire Department as Automatic Mutual Aid to Belleville Fire Department for a structure fire in a vacant barn at 12043 County Route 79 in the Town of Ellisburg. A second-alarm was transmitted, bringing Henderson Fire, Mannsville-Manor Fire and Smithville Fire to the scene. At that time, winds were gusting 20 to 30 MPH. Crews returned to quarters from the barn fire around 5:00 P.M., and quickly got equipment back in service.

At 5:57 P.M., the power went out and Adams Fire Department was dispatched to the first of well over 60 calls received for various incidents as a result of the storm. The Watertown International Airport recorded a peak gust of 78 MPH during the night. For most of the evening and overnight, six separate Adams fire crews were responding to various incidents, including two automatic mutual aid responses for reported structure fires which thankfully were not fires. Also, a major propane tank leak was discovered at the local home center when a shed used for refilling propane cylinders was lifted up and broke the valve on a large propane tank. 

Jefferson County declared a State of Emergency Wednesday morning, as most of the county was in the same situation from the storm. The county 911 center handled more than triple the normal number of calls for a 24-hour period. A warming center was established at our fire station and other fire stations in the county for people without power. The fire station operated on generator power for nearly 22 hours, with some areas of the community without power for up to three days. The last storm-related trees/wires down call was received at 9:59 A.M. on Thursday January 11th. National Grid established a distribution center at the Adams Fire Station and in the City of Watertown Thursday and Friday for dry ice and bottled water for people without power. Adams fire crews remained on duty until late Thursday evening, checking on various areas in the district and providing a warm place with a place with power and internet for some residents who work from home. Despite everything that happened, there were no serious injuries due to the storm.

avatar image

No information from the author.