Main Content


Large home destroyed by fire

By AMY MAXWELL, Correspondent | January 07, 2021 | TENNESSEE

Story No. 011221104

At 9:45 pm, a homeowner makes a frantic 911 call reporting the garage was on fire. Highway 58 Volunteer Fire Department responded to 6711 Gamble Road and arrived on the scene reporting garage was fully involved with fire traveling quickly throughout the house.
Fire officials immediately requested a Mutual Aid response for additional water tankers to the scene due to the closest fire hydrant was 2 miles away and the owner’s driveway was a 1/4 of a mile up a steep hill. Fire officials worked quickly to get water on the house with the water tankers on the scene. Additional manpower and fire apparatus responded from Bradley Co. Fire Rescue and Tri-Community VFD to the fire. Chattanooga Fire Department, East Ridge Fire Department and Mutual Aid Chief Mike Williams stood by at Highway 59 station for any additional emergency calls.
Fire officials reported the teenage son was working on his four-wheeler in the the garage when a spark ignited the fuel from the four-wheeler. It did not take long for the fire to consume the garage.
No injuries were reported but HCEMS was on the scene for any potential injuries to fire personnel.
Fire officials report the cause of the fire appears to be accidental. Damages will be over $750,000 and considered a total loss.
The homeowners will be staying with family members.

This article is a direct street report from our correspondent and has not been edited by the 1st Responder newsroom.