FARMINGDALE, NY - On April 19, 1889 The Water Witch Hose Co of Farmingdale, Long Island formed their company with 24 members. They also purchased a hand drawn pump. In May 1889,they erected their first firehouse on Rose Street.
On April 6 1893, the Water Witch hose company purchased their second hand pump. It is still in Farmingdale Fire Department to this day. It is used in parades. It is an 1858 Button & Blake hand pump. This hose company was incorporated in 1902. In 1916, they purchased their 1st motorized fire apparatus with a Mack auto truck. By 1921, they had already become a
3 engine company.
Later thru the years, they would purchase a 1921 Mack AB Model, a 1922 Fulton truck, 1936 Mack, 1947 Mack "L" Model, 1957 Mack "B" Model, 1965 Mack "C" Model, 1971 Mack "CF" Model,1985 American LaFrance,1990 FMC John Bean and 1995 FMC Saulsbury.
The Water Witch Hose Co #1 has fought many memorable fires such as the 1942 warehouse fire. The Island Stamping Company explosion in 1946. The Farmingdale theatre fire in 1950. The deadly bank explosion in 1952. The row of stores in 1961. The Ajwam lumberyard fire in East Farmingdale in 1965. The Howitt middle school fire in 1971. The fire in 1975 that left 20 people homeless. The warehouse fire in South Farmingdale in 1981. The chemical fire in 1985 that led to the evacuation at the train station. The Fairchild Republic warehouse fire in East Farmingdale. The Long Island wildfires of 1995 in Rocky-Point & West Hampton. Last but not least, the Water Witch Hose Co # 1 responded to the September 11, 2001 collapse of the Twin Towers which led to the death of 343 firefighters, including Chief of Department Peter Ganci, who also was a member of the Farmingdale Fire Department