National News | State News | Columns | Features | Classified | Calendar Events | Products & Services | Vehicles for Sale | Contact | Suggestions
Heroes Insurance Program
Heroes Mortgage Program
Online Editions Like Us
Jump to Story
To immediately access any story, please enter the Story Number in the above box.
Click here to Advanced 1RBN Search
In the Line of Duty
John Norris Raisler, 59 - Mile City, Montana
Heath J. O'Shea, 44 - Jacksonville, Florida
Richard Givan, 48 - Ekron, Kentucky
John “Billy” W. Bunardzya, 73 - Rostraver Township, Pennsylvania
Photo Contest
Photo Contest Vote Here
Vehicles for Sale

Coming Soon
Wireless News Subscription
1st Responder Wireless News
Newspaper Subscription
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
Media Kit
Download the 2016 issue of 1st Responder Broadcast Network Media Kit.
How to Submit Photos & Video
If you want to see your department’s activities in
the newspaper and on the Internet, as a 1RBN Correspondent you have the powers to make that happen.
1RBN.com Headlines
Breaking News
Forum's List
 Search Forum's Help Help 
  1st Responder Network >>  Fire Photography Forum >>  Just need some advice
Start A New Thread  Reply To This Post
View in Decending Order 
  Subject: Just need some advice
Post By: nwadler

On: 10/4/2006
Just wanted to get some feed back on some of my photos. Let me know what you think.

http://nwadler.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php
Profile Of This Member Email This Member
Post By: jpcirone

On: 1/4/2007
fiogf49gjkf0d
Please don't take offense; but since you asked for feedback, I'll give it in hopes you take it as good, not bad or in any way knocking your efforts (I normally charge $150/Hr. for this feedback when I'm doing consulting for other professional photogs; here you get it for free - what a deal!)

I realize that you are not a professional photog, so you have images that are on par with many folks who don't do this for a living.

Due to the lack of time in my life, I scanned the site you provided and saw the only real fire pics were of the Vestal Structure Fire, so I wernt to that album and here's what I provide for feedback (again in hopes you take it good, not bad):

Too many shots online that are alike. Narrow down your shots to those that show different angles, scenes, etc. - I don't have time (and maybe others also are busy like I am and feel the same) to scan 180 plus images, many alike. Let us see the scene but not the same image or likeness over and over again.

Having my eyes glaze over from looking at the first two pages, I just skipped the middle and went to the end in hopes I'd see something other than a bunch of flame shots. I was glad to see there was something different - sort of. Now I was treated to a bunch of shots of someone someplace shooting water at the building.

A telephone pole, hose line on the ground and a single stream of water on a snow covered ground is all I see - bad angle for sure. Where is the water coming from? Where is is going? I see flames in the window next to the water but don't see where the water is hitting.

So back to the beginning I went. Here I see two men with backs to the camera and a truck on the right at night. What is the story the image tells? Is this a fire or a parade, drill or Easter Bunny run (giving out candy to area kids from the truck)? No telling with that image.

Now in hopes of seeing something better - I went to the beginning of the middle (Pg 2). Flames light the area. A man walking down a hill. No idea who or what he is - I assume a fireman, but its too dark and far to tell. Oh yeah, there's a tree right smack in the middle of the image - yuck! Guess what the viewer sees first? Yep, the tree, then the flames. Again, bad angle.

Pgs. 3 - 8 much of the same. But there is hope on Pg. 8 - I can see water hitting a building and some firemen in the image, but sadly what could have been a good or great image is rendered useless due to the overall theme of the entire shoot - lack of lighting. Whatever flash you use is not doing the job at all. Is it a built in one? You need a powerful flash (expect to pay around $400) at least.

Lastly, make your angles minus the tree or at least crop out that dumb tree. It ruins most of your shots.

I hope this helps.

Post By: stringernews

On: 3/1/2007
fiogf49gjkf0d
I took a look also and the first thing that jumps out is, as you've already read, is the volume of the shots. I realize that you want to show every shot you have but some shots are duplicated and to keep a viewers eye busy you change it up. This unfortunately is a product of the digital age. Old farts like us who started shooting film can hold back a bit and wait to "make a photo". When we were limited to a roll of film we spent an hour at a big fire shooting 24 frames. Think every shot through and try to say to yourself.."if I had to use 1 frame(in this case jpg) to tell the story how would I do it?"

It's not easy. It's not supposed to be. Another issue may be that in upstate NY you probably aren't seeing the amount of fires we see down here on LI, NYC or NJ. So there's no problem with overshooting a scene but don't be afraid to delete some of the lesser quality ones. Even when I submit shots to daily papers I cringe when sending in more than 1 frame. Routinely papers use what I consider to be the wrong shot.... I don't know why they do...but they do it all the time. Most people don't care but I look at every picture in the paper with a photog's eye and ask why this and why that. If you start doing that on a regular basis, you'll start answering your own questions....if that makes sense.

Anyway nothing will help more than practice. Second nature is the best tool to use..... you use it when you don't even realize it.
Back 
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
Fire Boots - Save 5% with Discount Code First5 at AllHandsFire.com!