National News | State News | Columns | Features | Classified | Calendar Events | Products & Services | Vehicles for Sale | Contact | Suggestions
Heroes Insurance Program
Heroes Mortgage Program
Online Editions Like Us
Jump to Story
To immediately access any story, please enter the Story Number in the above box.
Click here to Advanced 1RBN Search
In the Line of Duty
Roy Franklin Whitt, 72 - Olive Hill, Kentucky
Zeb Smith, 40 - Fritch, Texas
Tommy Lee, 82 - Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
John Garrow, 60 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Photo Contest
Photo Contest Vote Here
Vehicles for Sale

Coming Soon
Wireless News Subscription
1st Responder Wireless News
Newspaper Subscription
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
Media Kit
Download the 2016 issue of 1st Responder Broadcast Network Media Kit.
How to Submit Photos & Video
If you want to see your department’s activities in
the newspaper and on the Internet, as a 1RBN Correspondent you have the powers to make that happen.
1RBN.com Headlines
Breaking News
Forum's List
 Search Forum's Help Help 
  1st Responder Network >>  Fire Photography Forum >>  Improving Photos Submitted to 1st Responder
Start A New Thread  Reply To This Post
View in Decending Order 
  Subject: Improving Photos Submitted to 1st Responder
Post By: NNJfirephoto

On: 2/4/2008
fiogf49gjkf0d
I know I have not submitted and articles to 1st Responder in quite some time, but I do continue to read it on a monthly basses. And this post is not to pick on any individual photographer when I use their photos as an example for the point of this post because I am no supper photographer myself. It is only to better the photographers and the paper as a whole.
What I am writing about is the poor choice of pictures used in the paper month after month. Pictures that are out of focus, poorly cropped, poorly lit and of absolutely nothing. There needs to be better screening amongst the photographers and the staff. It is pointless to put poor photos in the articles because it takes away from the article and the paper.
Stricter guidelines for photo submissions need to be created not only to make the paper better but to create better photographers. If you continually allow poor photos then more and more poor photos will be submitted. There is nothing wrong with having high standards and constructive criticism on photo submissions.
If some one submits a poor photo the submitter should be advised why it wasn’t good enough for the paper and what they can do in the future to make the photo better.
One good example is on page 54 on this month’s issue. What is the subject of this photo? All it shows is a lonely saw. Include more into the photo like some one at the other end of the rope. Or a wider view of were the saw is coming from and where it’s going to.
On page 42 of the same issue the article is good and informative but what is the picture of? It’s a nice big colorful picture of blurry nothing. This photo, though, is not the photographers’ fault it comes down to the editor for allowing the photo into the issue. In my experience if I do not have a good enough picture to go with an article then I do not submit an article.
Some good examples can be found on page 37. The photo for the Bellmawr has a lot going on in it and is put together very well. It’s in focus, shows what type of building the fire was in, the extent of the fire, lines stretched into the building, and guys standing by to go to work. From this photo you can almost get the feeling of being there on scene.
On page 12 there is a nicely lit in focus night time photo of a well involved structure. You have a chief and fire fighters preparing to make and initial attack on the fire with 2 ½ inch hose.
From both photos on pages 12 and 37 and all the photos on the cover, you get a picture of what has happened before you get to the what when where why and who of the article.
There are many other good examples along with bad ones in this issue and past issues.
In the long run it all comes down to the editors. Help the photographers who submit to the paper become better. It’s better to have quality then quantity.
And as a photographer try to better yourself. Use this forum and others to ask for tips and information on photographing fires at night, in cold weather, and other situations that you may encounter. In this day-in-age of digital cameras go out and take photos of every thing in all types of situations and lighting. Get to know your camera. READ THE MANUAL. I know it’s hard but the better you know the ins and outs of your camera the more you will get out of it. There are numerous books out there on all kinds of photography. Go to Barnes and Nobles or Amazon and check out all the books on photography and digital photography. Digital SLR Cameras & Photography for Dummies is a good book for beginners. Magic Lantern prints guide books for specific camera models that go a little more in depth and easier to understand about the camera you have than the manual for the camera.
I hope this was some what helpful and informative. I also understand that some people aren’t as serious about fire photography as others but we can all learn from each other and improve the best we can
Profile Of This Member Email This Member
Back 
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
  • Advertise Here
Fire Boots - Save 5% with Discount Code First5 at AllHandsFire.com!